Saturday, November 8, 2008

Reality check

Been floating on cloud Obama for 3 days now. I haven't felt this positive about the world since the fall of the Berlin Wall. I'm flush with progressive patriotism, which is all about diversity, tolerance and brotherhood. Loving every one and smiling like Stevie Wonder. Doing happy dances all over the house. My family diagnosed me a long time ago, but now the dog thinks I'm insane too.

Sooner or later, I had to come down.

It happened at the grocery store, by the frozen food section, when a young man tossed a carton of ice cream back in the bin. "Fuck the French", he exclaimed to his girlfriend, seemingly a propos of nothing. Did he not like French Vanilla? Who knows. It appears that even in Berkeley, the French are still fair game. Other than Arabs, they're the only people one can dump on without fear of being politically incorrect.

I felt like speaking up, identifying myself as franco-american and putting him in his place. Or maybe going into my best Parisian accent and playing dumb. "Ze French? Wat eez zees "phoque?" Perhaps a simple "Phoquez-vous", would have sufficed. But I kept my mouth shut. As I shuffled on down the aisle, I could feel myself falling, tumbling down off of cloud Obama, back to this imperfect earth.

No comments: